Keep track of income and expenses for your rental property using these spreadsheets. I made these for my own rental property and have been testing and tweaking them for the past 5 years.
2 VERSIONS INCLUDED
>>> VERSION 1
Record income and expenses for your investment property for up to 10 years (1 tab / spreadsheet per year). With these spreadsheets you can track positive or negative gearing and how much the property is truly costing you.
For each year, there is a tab to record income and expenses. The expense categories are pre-filled but you can type over the top of the existing categories and add your own in the blank rows as well. On each of these tabs is a pie graph of the expenses (by category) which will automatically update as you enter values into the spreadsheet, so you can see which expenses are big ticket items, where you might be able to cut back, and also to forecast future maintenance items.
Anything you enter in the tabs for each year will automatically populate the summary tab. The summary tab has a pie graph of expenses (by category) and a bar graph for income versus expenses.
>>> VERSION 2
This version has the same income and expenses summary spreadsheet as version 1, but it can be used for any year and is not linked to a summary tab. This spreadsheet can be used for scenario analysis to see if a property you are interested in purchasing is likely to be positively or negatively geared. I enter forecast costs in red. Once they have been spent I change the font color to grey.
- Income and Expenses Summary tab
- Rental Income - Make sure you've received all of the rental income you're owed. Especially helpful if you have a share house with multiple tenants, or are leasing out rooms in the home you live in
- Ongoing Costs Forecast - Pre-filled with more than 20 ongoing costs such as pool maintenance, gardening, pest control, smoke detector maintenance, insurance etc. You can add your own items as well. This spreadsheet can be used before you even purchase a property so you know how much you're up for. Once you've purchased a property you can transfer these forecasts to the 'income and expenses' tab
- Property Improvements - Improvements made to the investment property (e.g. cost of painting, purchase a new oven). This spreadsheet is not for repairs or regular ongoing expenses such as body corporate. If you live in Australia, send this to your Quantity Surveyor when they are preparing your tax depreciation schedule
- Upfront and selling costs - Use this to record how much you paid for the property (not just the selling price, all of the other on-costs too!)
You can also use this to help determine if a property you are interested in purchasing is actually feasible (and the true costs).
There are sections to record upfront repairs and renovations, as well as the sold price and selling costs. This spreadsheet will assist in calculating Capital Gains Tax and / or guide you to determine how much you need to sell the property for in order to make a profit.
- Loan comparison - Use this when you first obtain the mortgage, and also when you want to refinance. You can compare fixed and variable interest rate loans for up to 3 lenders. There is space to record upfront fees, annual fees, extras (e.g. credit card with no annual fee) and any specials or promotions. There is also a section to record refinance costs such as break-fees so you can determine the total true cost of refinancing
- Management Fees Cost - calculate how much it costs to hire a property manager to perform regular inspections, keep up to date with legislation, handle the lease documents etc. You can see different scenario's of how much you'll pay in property management fees depending on how much rent you charge per week/month/year. You can change their commission % to whatever number you like
If you have multiple rental properties, I have another version of the spreadsheet that can be used for up to 10 investment properties which is available here.
ABOUT THE SPREADSHEETS
- Instant download - start using it straight away!
- Excel file format (can also be used in Google Sheets and Numbers for Mac)
- Formulas will automatically pull the numbers through from the detail tabs (where you input your information) into the summary tab so you don't need to enter things twice
- Can make as many copies of the spreadsheet as you need for each of your rental properties
- Purchase once and re-use again and again each year
These spreadsheets are a perfect, simple and easy to use tool for non-financial people :)
Both a blank version and a pre-filled / example version are included in the download.
Note: I have not included tax implications in this spreadsheet so you can live anywhere in the world and use these spreadsheets
Instructions for using in Google Sheets are here.
- Budget Calculator
- Personal budgeting
- Family budgeting spreadsheets
- Business budgeting
- Renovation planner
- First Home Budget
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN:
I am unfortunately unable to provide after sales advice/troubleshooting on how to use Microsoft Excel, Numbers for Mac or Google Sheets. Basic excel skills are required.
I accept no responsibility for errors that may be made in this spreadsheet. I am not accountant – you are responsible for ensuring values are correct. I recommend that you carefully check you have entered the correct vales and have not over-ridden formulas prior to using the information for taxes and financial reporting, and consultant an accountant if required.
>>>> Software requirements
- These spreadsheets were made in Excel 2016
- They should also work with earlier and later versions of Excel although I cannot guarantee this
- They should also work with earlier version of Excel although I cannot guarantee this
- They will work in numbers on a MAC
- They will work in Google Sheet which is free online: https://www.google.com/sheets/about/
I am not responsible if you are using a different software program and the files do not work. There are no refunds if these files will not work with your PC/laptop, or if you do not have basic excel skills and have problems formatting and/or using the spreadsheets.
The spreadsheets are intending for using on your computer or laptop (digital files to be used digitally).
Most instant download items (and all sets) come in zipped folders. Please ensure your computer can open zipped folders.
The watermarks will NOT appear on your copy.
Colours may vary depending on your monitor and printer.
There are no refunds on digital items.
DOWNLOADING THE FILES
Please note that this is a digital product and no physical product will be sent.
Files will be available for INSTANT DOWNLOAD after payment has cleared - please check the email address used to place your order for an automatic email containing the link to the download page.
© All About Planners
Shop blog: https://allaboutplanners.com.au/
Click here to subscribe to the blog and access the free printables library!
If you'd like a copy of these spreadsheets, here are the links: Rental property spreadsheets (use for 1 property): https://bit.ly/2NyjKOf Property spreadsheets (use for up to 10 properties): https://bit.ly/3bEyinn Instructions for using any Excel spreadsheet in Google Sheets: https://bit.ly/3dO4g3b --- More ways to organize your life using Excel spreadsheets --- Fist home budget: https://bit.ly/2ZStvcv Renovation planner: https://bit.ly/3pWOhSM Budget calculator: https://bit.ly/3aUf3H5 Personal Budgeting: https://bit.ly/3svQpmk Family Budgeting: https://bit.ly/3bWhNDt Excel travel planner: https://bit.ly/37MeVHF ______________________________________ *** FOLLOW ME *** Blog: https://allaboutplanners.com.au/ Etsy Shop: https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/AllAboutPlannersshop Online shop: http://www.allaboutplannersshop.com.au/ Digital paper shop: https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/PaperCra... Ecourses: http://buildabiggeronlinebusiness.teachable.com/courses Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com.au/allaboutplanners/ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/all_about_planners/ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
How I use Exce...If you'd like a copy of these spreadsheets, here are the links...